Saturday, January 17, 2009

Le Roi Est Mort - Vive Le Roi!

Sad but not altogether surprising news. Bouna Coundoul, fan favorite and goalkeeper extraordinaire, is no longer with the Colorado Rapids. That's right fans, he'll never be between the posts again at DSG Park. The Rapids clarified the situation on the club blog after days of speculation following the acquisition of Matt Pickens during the SuperDraft process. The club said it made Bouna a very generous offer which would have put him among the top five goalkeepers in the league in terms of pay. Most would say he is easily worth that. Clearly, Bouna has to think of his own future and that future probably lies away from the MLS and in the European leagues. His goal is to play for Senegal as the number one choice and anybody can understand that. There remains a small feeling that he had already made his mind up last summer when he started to be out of the team and struggling with Senegal. Wherever he ends up, he will be a success because he is supremely good, talented, hard working and ambitious. Above all, he is good. So, with heavy heart, we say goodbye to a true gent and wish him the best and hope that a small part of his heart remains in Colorado. We now get behind the team and support whoever is between those pipes.

6 comments:

johncos said...

Bouna always greeted us fans with a smile and sincerity that is rare among professional athletes. What a treat is has been watching him develop the last few years! I Fully expect to see him as the #1 for Senegal at the 2014 World Cup. Best of luck Bouna.

Nick Thomas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott said...

My favorite Bouna memory happened when he was still the back up. At a game in Los Angeles that I went to I found my way to seats close to where he was warming up and I was able to have a short conversation with him. Of course that game was not so good for Bouna and the Rapids but he really did take time for the fans. I am sure his decision to leave has more to do with the goals that he has for his career.

Jason Maxwell said...

Good luck to Bouna. One of my favorites over the last couple of seasons, I'll be keeping my 16th St. banner of him on my wall for a while.

Nick, if you find out where he ends up let us know. I'd like to keep track of him.

Curt Bellew said...

What a bummer. He was a favorites with both my kids.

James said...

No other player in club history (from my memory) took more time to greet and show respect to the fans. He would shake hands on the way out and be the last player on the field greeting fans on the way off.

While I support the team as a fan, I purchased my tickets to watch Bouna. I always looked forward to Bouna Time!